Croeso i Derbyniad!
Welcome to Reception!
This year, we have two Reception classes which are taught by Miss Ford and Mr Lewis. We are also very lucky to have four fantastic Teaching Assistants who support the children in every day activities - Mrs Thomas, Miss Smith, Miss Briskham and Miss Thomas
We have a fantastic outdoor area that we have all to ourselves this year and we try to use every day. Within the classroom we have a writing area, maths area, creative area, small world area, construction area, Welsh area, reading area, funky fingers area and ICT area. The children use these areas independently to complete various activities that help to build on the foundation of learning which they experience through focused tasks with a teacher.
Please have a look through our page for regular updates. We will update our termly overviews and will provide lots of other resources to help build on what we are learning in school.
Thank you for your continued support and if there is anything else you would like to know or interested in finding more about, please do not hesitate to approach a member of the Reception team.
Diolch yn fawr!
RETURN TO SCHOOL
We hope you have all had a wonderful summer and your children are looking forward to our return to school next week.
Both Reception classes will be split into two groups (per class) and will attend school on either Thursday 3rd September or Friday 4th September between 9am-11:30am for the first week. Please note that a packed lunch is NOT REQUIRED for these days.
At the end of last term, information was sent out via Class Dojo to let you know which day your child will be attending. If you have not received this information please contact us through Class Dojo.
All Reception pupils will be back in school altogether from Monday 7th September between 9am-1pm for the whole week (Monday-Friday). Please note that a packed lunch IS REQUIRED for this week and will be eaten in class prior to the children going home.
Please use the route at the front of the school, which you can access by walking up the main entrance and turning left toward the new path. Please see the video below for more information. Your child will need to be brought to school and collected from school by an adult, as per government advice.
We are really looking forward to seeing you all and getting started with a fun an exciting new school year!
Get moving - Ideally go into the garden to have some fresh air.
- Running or skipping about.
- Balancing on one leg.
- Jumping with two feet and landing on two feet.
Be more independent
- Put on and take off different items of clothing on your own.
- Brush their hair, brush their teeth, cut up their food.
- Attempt to open various food items by yourself bottles, packets etc.
- Pour your own juice and cereal.
Writing your name
- Recognise the letters of your name, start with the first letter. Spot the letters that make your name, you could see them on food packaging, in a book or comic, magnetic letters on the fridge, foam letters in the bath.
- Make/form the letters of your name. You could make your letter shapes outside with twigs/pebbles, you can ask for help chalking them outside on a wall or floor, you can make the shape in the air or in shaving foam with your pointing finger.
- Move onto writing your name and the names of your family and friends on pieces of paper or use 'paint' on hwb. (Letter formation sheet below).
- Practise saying what you like and dislike. 'I like to play outside because...' I don't like it when its cold and windy because...'
Sing the Jolly Phonics Song
- Listen to and join in with the actions of the Jolly Phonics Song (see below).
- Use flashcards (see below) to test sound recognition.
- Be a number detective and find them on food packaging, on book/magazine pages, on keyboards, washing machine dials, magnetic numbers on the fridge or foam letters in the bath.
- Count various objects throughout the day e.g. how many tea bags are in the box? how many spoons are in the draw? how many steps does it take to get from one side of the house to the other?
- Make/form numbers 1-10. You could form number shapes outside with twigs/pebbles, you can ask for help chalking them outside on a wall or floor, you can make the shape in the air or in shaving foam with your pointing finger. (number formation sheet below).