I recognise that the school has a responsibility to maintain the security and integrity of the technology it offers me and to ensure the smooth running of the school:
- I will only use my personal hand held / external devices (mobile phones / USB devices / iPods etc.) in school if I have permission. I understand that, if I do use my own devices in school, I will follow the rules set out in this agreement, in the same way as if I was using school equipment.
- I understand the risks and will not try to upload, download or access any materials which are illegal or inappropriate or may cause harm or distress to others, nor will I try to use any programmes or software that might allow me to bypass the filtering / security systems in place to prevent access to such materials.
- I will immediately report any damage or faults involving equipment or software, however this may have happened.
- I will not open any attachments to emails, unless I know and trust the person / organisation who sent the email, due to the risk of the attachment containing viruses or other harmful programmes.
- I will not install or attempt to install programmes of any type on a machine, or store programmes on a computer, nor will I try to alter computer settings.
- I will not use chat and social networking sites at any time on the school premises.
When using the internet for research or recreation, I recognise that:
- I should ensure that I have permission to use the original work of others in my own work
- Where work is protected by copyright, I will not try to download copies (including music and videos)
- When I am using the internet to find information, I should take care to check that the information that I access is accurate, as I understand that the work of others may not be truthful and may be a deliberate attempt to mislead me.
I understand that I am responsible for my actions, both in and out of school:
- I understand that the school also has the right to take action against me if I am involved in incidents of inappropriate behaviour, that are covered in this agreement, when I am out of school and where they involve my membership of the school community (examples would be cyber-bullying, use of images or personal information).
- I understand that if I fail to comply with this Acceptable Use Policy Agreement, I will be subject to disciplinary action. This may include temporary loss of access to the school network / internet, detentions, suspensions, contact with parents and in the event of illegal activities involvement of the police.
The wording we use with Foundation Phase pupils is as follows although the above still stands.
This is how we stay safe when we use computers:
- I will ask a teacher or another adult from the school if I want to use the computers
- I will only use activities that a teacher or another adult from the school has told or allowed me to use.
- I will take care of the computer and other equipment
- I will ask for help from a teacher or another adult from the school if I am not sure what to do or if I think I have done something wrong.
- I will tell a teacher or another adult from the school if I see something that upsets me on the screen.
- I know that if I break the rules I might not be allowed to use a computer/tablet.